Sean B. Swords, Associate Attorney
Sean has dedicated his professional life to helping individuals who have been injured due to the carelessness of large corporations and insurance companies. Sean represents the families of wrongful death victims in addition to handling product liability suits and other personal injury cases. Sean has litigated cases involving liability of automotive manufacturers in roof crush and rollover accidents, liability of bars in overserving intoxicated patrons, commercial trucking accidents, business disputes, and has tried multiple wrongful death cases to verdict. Sean has also represented plaintiffs in courts across the country that have been injured due to defective drugs and medical devices. Sean has been been admitted pro hac vice in federal courts in Florida, Colorado, Ohio and California.
He received a B.B.A., summa cum laude from Texas Tech University in 2013 and earned his law degree from Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law in 2016. During law school, Sean was a Notes and Comments Editor for the SMU Science & Technology Law Review and a representative in the Student Bar Association. Sean has served on the Board of Directors for the Texas Trial Lawyers Association.
Sean is presently representing clients in the following product liability actions:
In re: 3M Combat Arms Earplug Products Liability Litigation; 3:19-md-2885; filed in the U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida.
In re: Juul Labs, Inc. Marketing, Sales Practices & Products Liability Litigation; 3:19-md-2913-WHO; filed in the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California.
In re: Davol, Inc./C.R. Bard, Inc., Polypropylene Hernia Mesh Products Liability Litigation; 2:18-md-2846; filed in the U.S. District Court Southern District of Ohio.
Essure Product Cases; JCCP No. 4887; in the Superior Court of the State of California in and for the County of Alameda.
Areas of Practice
- Wrongful Death
- Catastrophic Injuries
- Product Liability
- Business Disputes
- Automotive Defects
- Texas, 2016
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, J.D. – 2016
- Texas Tech University, B.B.A. summa cum laude – 2013
Verdicts and Representative Cases
- Membreno vs. City of Austin d/b/a Austin Energy, et al., Travis County, Texas, June 2019 – $9,360,000.00 jury verdict.
- Padron et al. vs. The Texas Department of Transportation, Travis County, Texas, November 2018 – $5,232,994.00 jury verdict (No. 1 Government Negligence Verdict in the State of Texas in 2018). This case was appealed all the way to the Texas Supreme Court, which ruled in favor of the Plaintiffs.
- Dishman et al. vs. MLAW Consultants & Engineers, Travis County, Texas, October 2018 – $589,422.00 jury verdict (No. 1 Engineering Malpractice Verdict in the State of Texas in 2018).
- City of Austin d/b/a Austin Energy vs. Membreno, Third Court of Appeals, Austin, July 2018 – preserved longstanding Texas law that a minor child does not need to prove paternity prior to trial in a wrongful death case.
Professional Associations and Memberships
Texas Trial Lawyers Association, former Board of Director
Capital Area Trial Lawyers Association
Austin Young Lawyers Association
Bastrop County Bar Association, Secretary
tel: (512) 478-2211